The original Whitton Tower (the owners residence) is the square castelated building on the left of this photograph. Built as a border stronghold when the area was ravaged by the gangs of bandits known as The Border Reivers. In more peaceful times, the tower was built on and extended for use as the living quarters of the rectors of Rothbury. There is a carved shield built into the west front of the tower showing a coat of arms thought to belong to the Umfraville family who built the tower around 1350.